Thursday, August 21, 2014

LETS TALK ABOUT OVERANALYZING.




I can over analyze the hell out of anything and everything. And lately, its my writing.




Its true.




Such as today, I posted on facebook that I was thankful for friends that carry hope for me, and who speak life, and I posted it.  And I meant it.  When suddenly, all I could think was that people would think less, that I'm too much, that I have too many emotions, and that something is wrong with ME.  And I deleted it, hoping that no one saw it.




That happens far too much. 




It also happens when I want to comment on blogs that I like, or when I write.    I worry about what other people who communicate with their words so effectively will think of me commenting.  Do they roll their eyes?  Do they sigh?   I want to thank people whose blogs have honestly brought me hope and freedom.  And that their writing has said to me "you aren't alone".   But I get awkward and weird and then afraid to do so. 




Or the fact I didn't finish college.  I'm not as educated.   I type and write like I speak, fully knowing that's not "how" to do it.  But its how I work.  Its how these thoughts come out.   I'm not eloquent.  I'm blunt.  I'm really honest.  I'm raw.  I don't know any other way to write.  And I may never.


I have a friend whose been encouraging me to write poetry.  Here's the honest thing... I'm afraid.  I'm afraid to.  Terrified.  I read others poems and I could never write like that.   I can almost hear him saying, "so write like you.."... maybe not, but I think that is close to what he would say.  


One of my greatest fears is to end up alone, and friendships change when you write honestly.  I had the same small group of friends back home.  As I've been writing, a few have backed off.  Some of it could be that seasons in friendships change at times.  But I know theologically, I'm a different woman than I was.  I see and smell and taste and believe the world differently than I did for so many years growing up that good Pentecostal girl who honestly just always pretended to have it together.   I also know that in that environment, at times we took it very literally that if someone is not believing like you,  and they don't heed your warnings/advice, its best to just back off because you can't be close friends with them anymore...   A few I love dearly, they believe that.  I fear losing more friends that I love.


But here's the truth... or truths:


I have to write.  I have a million words all the time, and I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't put them somewhere. 


I want to write poetry even if they are stupid, or ridiculous, and  if only I and perhaps a friend or two ever read them. 


I have to come to love this passionate, emotional part of me.  Its Andrea.  Its who I am.  I want to always feel and love deeply.  I want to feel it all deeply.   Its often an equal blessing as it is a curse.   And I am often a raging sea rather than a calm one.


I don't have it together.  I may never.


I find God in different places than I used to.  Nature.  Partaking of the Eucharist on Sunday mornings.  In the faces of the tribe I call church.   In sacred spaces that I've found I have to carve out for me... in the quiet.    On this wilderness road that has been lonely, often I'm met there.  I love Jesus.  Probably  more than ever before.  But its a honest, raw, relationship that we have.  And I have found a love that I don't earn, and a God I don't have to perform for.  There's freedom there.


I am not afraid of asking the questions.  Of challenging what I've believed my whole life.  And I'm working at not being afraid in the risk of writing them.  I may lose friends.  I may have people say mean things.  I may not be accepted.  BUT... I will make new friends.  I will have people say good things, AND... I will be accepted in another circle. 


But with all that overanalyzing said... its still worth it.   I will still write, even if not a soul reads it anymore. 


Because I think its worth it. 



































2 comments:

  1. I love you and I love your writing.. And it matters. God's given you a gift, whether you are the most eloquent writer or not. Some of my favorite people in the Bible were vulnerable in their writings and lives, not eloquent. Your realness is much appreciated in a world where everyone only displays highlight reels :) <3

    ReplyDelete